Wave Banner JCMF_Banner_statue

St John's 1845


St John's 1845

St John's Episcopal Church stands at the corner of
Princes Street and Lothian Road, Edinburgh

In the "The Life of James Clerk Maxwell", Campbell
and Garnett record that JCM attended two churches
whilst a pupil at the Edinburgh Academy:
“On Sundays he generally went with his father to
St. Andrew’s Church (Mr. Crawford’s) in the forenoon,
and, by Miss Cay’s desire, to St. John’s Episcopal
Chapel in the afternoon.”

Image from an old post card:
St John’s Chapel, Princes Street, from Castle Terrace.
Coloured lithograph by Nicol after W Mason, c.1845

[Home] [About Maxwell] [Resources] [Birthplace and JCM Foundation] [Contact Us]