Wave Banner JCMF_Banner_statue

St Andrew's

 

St Andrew's

St Andrew's Church stands on the North side of
George Street, Edinburgh. 

Maxwell's statue now stands at the east end of the
street  (below the Melville monument seen in the
picture).

In the "The Life of James Clerk Maxwell", Campbell
and Garnett record that JCM attended two
churches whilst a pupil at the Edinburgh Academy:
“On Sundays he generally went with his father to
St. Andrew’s Church (Mr. Crawford’s) in the forenoon,
and, by Miss Cay’s desire, to St. John’s Episcopal
Chapel in the afternoon.”

From:
"Modern Athens! Displayed in a Series of Views"
by John Britton & Thomas Hosmer Shepherd, 1829

[Home] [About Maxwell] [Resources] [Birthplace and JCM Foundation] [Contact Us]